Age Range: 7 to 12
Grade Range: 2 to 6
Skill Level: Moderate
Appropriate for These Special Events:
Every Day and Rainy Days
Supports Subject Area(s) of:
Language Arts – e.g. step by step instructions
Mathematics - measuring
Time Needed for Project:
45 Minutes plus drying time
2 FloraCraft® 1" balls
Horizon wiggle eyes
Craft felt in white and teal
Craft felt in pink or red
Plaid® Apple Barrel Acrylic paint - white
Thin feathers (boa or pre-made hair clip piece)
Elmer's® Craft Bond Tacky Glue
3 or 4 Pepperell Noodles in purple
Adult sized sweatshirt sleeve
- Flatten the foam ball between your thumb and index fingers and then on one edge of the ball so they have a flat side to sit upright. Paint these pieces white.
- Trace the eye lashes, mouth, and tongue patterns on desired felt pieces. Trace the inside mouth piece onto corrugated card board. Cut the pieces out.
- Glue the eye lashes to the back of the foam balls followed by google eyes on the front.
- Fold the inside mouth piece in half and slide inside sock. With your hand inside the sock, adjust the card board piece where you like it. Make a slit in the bottom part of the inner mouth piece. Apply thick glue to the inside and press sock in place so it doesn't slide around.
- Glue the felt mouth and tongue over the slit with thick glue. Glue eyes on top of the puppet and hold them in place with the pins going down through the top and into the card board mouth.
- Glue the feather hair behind the eyes. Set aside to dry.
- Cut the sleeve from the sweatshirt. Slide over arm followed by sock puppet head.
- Twist the noodle chenille stems around the sleeve to create legs.