1. To make wire beads,
cut nineteen 12” lengths of 24 gauge wire in assorted
colors. Using 1/8” dowel, 1/4” dowel, and craft
stick wrap lengths of wire around each for different sizes
of wire beads. When coiling around craft stick, wrap loosely
so it will slip off easily. Set wire beads aside.
2. Knead clay until soft and smooth. Flatten to a 1/4”
thickness. Cut a heart shape with cookie cutter. Using sculpting
tools, write “Best Friends” on heart. Cut the
heart in half with pinking shears. Make a small hole in the
top of each half.
3. Bake clay pieces on an oven proof glass surface at 275°F
per 1/4” thickness, with good ventilation. DO NOT USE
MICROWAVE OVEN. Avoid over baking. Let cool.
4. Attach jump ring to each half of heart.
5. Cut a 30” length of elastic cord. Thread one half
of the heart onto center of cording. Working from each side,
string plastic beads and wire beads alternately. Tie cording
together with a double knot. Trim ends.
6. Repeat step 1 and make a second necklace for your best